Normally, pool water evaporation is about 1″ to 2½″ per week. To determine if you have a leak, you can perform a simple bucket test using an ordinary plastic bucket:
- Bring pool water to normal level (middle of skimmer).
- Place a bucket on the first or second step of the pool.
- Fill the bucket with pool water to the same level as the pool.
- Mark the water level on the inside of the bucket.
- Shut off the pump and mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket.
- Resume normal pump operation.
- After 24 to 48 hours, compare the two water levels:
- If the pool water level (outside mark) goes down more than the water level inside the bucket, you probably have a leak.
- In case of rain, repeat the test (be sure that your pool is equipped with an auto-fill to shut off the water supply).
Test is invalid after 48 hours.